Monday, April 25, 2011

Does networking really help you get a job?

I have not been able to find solid research on the internet to prove that "networking" is the best way to find a job. If there are some, I'd like to see them.  I have seen some anecdotal information and personal accounts of people using networking to get every job they ever had.  I personally have had only some success in getting "possible" freelance work from my networking activities...not real job offers.

My "insight" is actually more of a question today.  Does ones' personality affect ones' ability to network effectively?  I believe there are born sales people.  I would think these are the most effective networkers. Anyone who doesn't naturally do these things is probably not going to do well in today's job market...unless they really push themselves.

This leads me to suggest that being in the dire situation of not having a job....maybe this is the first time you've been unemployed in your lifetime...forces a change in your personality.  The "survival" factor is strong and if it breeds a new generation of aggressive, take-charge individuals, maybe that's good for everyone in the long run.

In the short term, it's tough to know that your "best" isn't "good enough".  Tough life lessons for many of us to have to learn...and many of us learning it later in life.  Have you learned this lesson?  What have you done about it?  I guess your answer would depend on whether or not you have a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment